Thursday, April 12, 2007

Out of Sorts


In a visit to Genesee Country Museum, I stopped at an old time printer's shop. I learned the derivation of the term "out of sorts." Sorts were small spacers placed between letters and other characters in manual type to prevent everything from running together and helping make sense of what people read sothateverythingdidnotgetallbunchedtogetherandbecomehardtoread. Yesterday I found myself out of sorts with a stomach bug. It was as if there were parts of my mind missing and I could not bring myself to create anything even though I was in the middle of working on my novel. Maybe experiences such as this are designed to help me appreciate the times when I am able to use my mind and body without difficulty. I think I sometimes tend to take them both for granted.

No comments: