Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Journal Travels


In my writers' group last night, we shared pages from our journals. I knew why I kept a journal but was amazed to see the variety of approaches other took. Some chronicled their sensory observations, some their adventures, memories, impressions, dreams, discoveries or concerns. It is enlightening to see the variety of approaches writers can take to a seemingly simple daily ritual. Some write only when they have something of significance to say and others write several times a day. Some write for the writing, some for themselves and some for posterity. I was glad to be there and share it and appreciate the broadening of my experience. If you are wondering, that's me sitting in Herman Melville's pew at the Seaman's Bethel in New Bedford.

No comments: