Friday, April 06, 2007

The Feast of the Circumcision


In the past few days there have been newspaper articles reporting circumcision as providing protection from HIV especially for higher risk men. When I was growing up, January 1 was the Feast of the Circumcision of Jesus in the Catholic liturgical calendar. It has since disappeared. When I was born, my father was in Guam with the navy and my parents did not have a chance to discuss circumcision which had been in and out of favor somewhat like breastfeeding. When I was seven, my parents decided it would be a good idea even though I was not having any medical problems suggesting it would be a good idea. That was in the days when most surgery involved a hospital stay. The surgery itself was not as traumatic as everyone at the hospital knowing why I was there and having to explain at school why I was absent for a few days. I was always uncomfortable with the Feast of the Circumcision. That particular episode was always a source of shame for me. This is the first time I have written about it. It's good not to have this secret anymore.

No comments: