Thursday, September 27, 2007

Conversations with Calliope

JOE: Good morning, Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning, Joe. I am anxious to hear about your new novel.
JOE: Well, it's not exactly new. I have had the idea for about ten years but never did much with it before.
CALLIOPE: Why not?
JOE: I had just recently gone through a divorce and I think the experience was still too close and too personal for any kind of objectivity.
CALLIOPE: I guess I can understand that. It is hard to be objective when your emotions are still tossing you about. Yet your emotions are what would make the story real and interesting.
JOE: I realize that. However I was unable to find any sort of balance between objectivity and my personal feelings.
CALLIOPE: I know what you mean. I think the best fiction is a metaphor for the author's inner struggles. But the author needs to be able to see beyond them to make them a metaphor.
JOE: Exactly. I couldn't get beyond my own struggles to find any metaphors. I was locked in them in a way which paralyzed me.
CALLIOPE: Good insight. How about now?
JOE: Now I have had time to digest what happened to me. Parts of my experience are still a mystery, but I think now I can approach the topic with a better sense of balance. I also have learned a great deal about writing fiction, particularly using dialogue. I think I am ready now.
CALLIOPE: Great. Keep me posted.

No comments: