Thursday, January 25, 2007

A Foray Into Politics


I don't usually write about politics. I find the whole field confusing and subject to endless debates which usually don't produce anything conclusive or widely agreed upon. I have been thinking about this "surge" idea, trying to make sense of it. So far I haven't. I did think this morning about a quote I saw on a plaque coming off the elevator of a chemical dependency treatment program. It read "If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got." My recollection is that this statement was originally developed to apply to business. I have since found that it applies to chemical dependency as well as many other areas of life. I think it also applies to surges. Adding more troops to do the same things that have been shown to be disastrous does not accomplish much except adding to the pile of body bags. It seems very much like the increasing troop levels during the Vietnam war which never seemed to accomplish anything positive. I do agree with President Bush that if anyone has a better idea, it should be voiced. Unfortunately I don't have one, but I hope someone does or that those elected to lead our country can get together and think of one.

No comments: