Tuesday, September 05, 2006

How To Register a Compliment

Stores used to have complaint departments. No more. Now they are called customer service desks. I have often heard the phrase, "I want to register a complaint." Some time ago I found an inexpensive pair of sandals at a large department store which were very comfortable, sturdy and better than others I had previously found for much more money. I went to their customer service department and announced, "I want to register a compliment." The clerk was quite flustered, off balance and without a clue of how to respond. I proceeded to relate my compliment and she still had no idea how to proceed. I recall a note I have seen at some businesses, "If you have a compliment, tell your friends; if you have a complaint, tell us." If more businesses were open to hearing compliments, they would have a better idea how to gear their products and services to customer needs and wishes.

No comments: