Thursday, September 24, 2009

Conversations with Calliope- Rural Travels

W.G. Handyside Gallery of Fine Arts
(W.G. Handyside Gallery)

JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Did you sleep in?
JOE: No. I was busy writing and doing my yoga.
CALLIOPE: I see. What news?
JOE: Yesterday my son and I lunched at the Mennonite bulk food store in Warsaw (NY) and stopped by W.G. Handyside Gallery of Fine Arts in Wyoming (also NY) to visit with the owner Diane Burnham.
CALLIOPE: Learn anything interesting?
JOE: We chatted quite a while about running an art store, the state of art and public resp0nse.
CALLIOPE: What did you discover?
JOE: Her opinion was that people are not as interested in owning art in rural areas as they are in big cities.
CALLIOPE: Does that have to do with income?
JOE: It seems to be more a matter of values. Folks here would rather visit art than own it.
CALLIOPE: Does that apply to books too?
JOE: Hard to say. She does carry a few books, mine included, but has not done as well with them as with art, supplies and lessons.
CALLIOPE: Did she have any suggestions regarding writing.
JOE: She thought there was more market around here for audio and video materials than written ones. I had been thinking of exploring putting some of my writing on CD's and DVD's. I'll give this more thought. Talk with you tomorrow.

No comments: