Thursday, October 19, 2006

Living Simply


It is amazing to me how many things we think we need in order to live properly. There was a time when people lived more simply and were thankful to have the resources to manage each day. If we turn on a television, listen to the radio or read a newspaper we are constantly bombarded with things we can't possibly live without. How much of our time, energy and money are spent pursuing amenities rather than the basics? I remember studying history and reading that most civilizations collapse from within. I took this to mean that they lost sight of their basic purpose for existing in the first place. At one time the United States stood for freedom, respect of individual lives and diversity. I don't want to think that we are heading in the same direction as ancient civilizations, but sometimes I wonder.

No comments: