Friday, March 23, 2007

The Gilbert Street Greeter


During nice weather I became accustomed on my way home to seeing a man standing on the corner waving to each passing motorist. I wonder how many people interrupted their thoughts about rushing home bristling at anyone who might be impeding their progress and took time to appreciate this man's mission to stand on his lawn and greet everyone. He lightened my heart each day. He did not do much in the larger scope of things but did remind me that there is more to life than rushing from one place to another annoyed with anyone who gets in your path. As spring was arriving, I began to look forward to seeing him and his friendly wave again. I read in the paper this week that he had died in Florida. I didn't really know him and am not sure whether he was there for a visit or spent the winter some place warmer than western New York. My fantasy of him is of his spending his last days greeting cars and their drivers in Florida.

No comments: