Friday, June 27, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: Energetic.
CALLIOPE: What brought that on?
JOE: I'm not sure. How do you know it isn't my natural state?
CALLIOPE: Maybe it is. What's going on?
JOE: I awoke in the middle of the night thinking about where I am with my writing.
CALLIOPE: Where are you?
JOE: I have come to realize with the help of my readers that I need to do some work on my style and voice before completing Marital Property.
CALLIOPE: What did they say that brought you to that conclusion?
JOE: They observed in their own ways that my presentation tended to be bland. They graciously suggested my characters seemed flat instead of my writing. In reading popular authors, I could see the difference between expression of Danielle Steele for example and my own. I have also been reading about the craft of writing. My writing needs some work.
CALLIOPE: How do you plan to go about it?
JOE: Three ways. I will keep reading about style, reading writers with style attractive to the average reader and practice my craft with short stories for a while before returning to the manuscript of Marital Property.
CALLIOPE: Sounds like a good plan. Will you suspend your other writing in the mean time?
JOE: Not exactly. I have also started gathering teen writings to include in Commonsense Wisdom for Teens and getting that project back on track. I am going to Niagara Falls tonight for a Neville Brothers/ Dr. John concert and will be back probably tomorrow afternoon. I'll contact you then.
(Pond in the forest- Oramel, NY)

No comments: