Saturday, April 07, 2007

The Mystery of Easter Eggs

Along with Easter and the Christian celebration of Christ's Resurrection, come other traditions.
I was thinking about Easter eggs this morning and realized I was not sure where this tradition originated. I might have known once but don't now. Since Easter is a time of Spring renewal, rebirth and new life. eggs seemed like an apt symbol but I still wasn't sure. So I looked it up. One account was that eggs were a symbol of life common in many cultures and their spring rituals. Another account indicated that rabbits are also seen as symbols of fertility in light of their common multiple births. It was said that children thought rabbits laid eggs in the grass, giving rise to the connection between the Easter bunny and Easter eggs. I wonder how many other traditions we take for granted and don't really understand.

No comments: